Company: Vaya Health
Posted on: January 27, 2023
LOCATION: Remote - Buncombe County GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB:Under
the supervision of the Member Engagement Manager, the Peer Trainer
will educate members, recipients, beneficiaries and their families
(collectively referred to hereafter as "members") about recovery
from mental health, substance use disorders, and life challenges.
The Peer Trainer will advance Vaya Health's goals for all members
in accordance with the organization's Behavioral Health and I/DD
Tailored Plan, Medicaid Direct Prepaid Health Plan, and other
applicable contracts. The Peer Trainer also provides community
outreach and education regarding benefits, supports and services
available through Vaya Health and its network. The Peer Trainer
will assist in the development and dissemination of approved
educational materials, in partnership with other departments of
Vaya Health, throughout the catchment area. The Peer Trainer will
help organize, plan, and present at community forums aimed at
educating members and stakeholders. The Peer Trainer may
participate in committees or community collaboratives as assigned.
The Peer Trainer will have other specific outreach responsibilities
depending on their lived experience. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Community Education and Outreach: The Peer Trainer is required to
develop educational presentations related to Vaya Health's service
system. This position will facilitate Vaya Health's NC Peer Support
Specialist Training and other recovery-related trainings throughout
the catchment area. The Peer Trainer will provide education and
outreach incorporating best practice and cultural competence. This
position will also assist in the development and facilitation of
various community events and presentations throughout the catchment
area with particular emphasis on reducing stigma. This position
will assist in organizing and participating in recovery and
awareness focused events in the catchment area. The Peer Trainer
assists with coordinating Vaya's Peer Learning Communities. Peer
Trainers distribute approved educational materials throughout the
communities Vaya serves. The Peer Trainer is required to maintain
reports that document activities conducted and members/stakeholders
reached. Other duties as assigned. QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
REQUIREMENTS:High school diploma or GED is required for this
position. Bachelor's degree in Human Services preferred. Preference
will also be given to applicants who are Certified Peer Support
Specialists and WRAP Facilitators. Lived experience with mental
health and/or substance use disorders, with receipt of services and
supports as a member is required. MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Decision making skills are needed.
- Physical demands include transporting and set-up of training
materials and event displays.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries and professionalism with peers,
health plan members, and community stakeholders.
- Travel to trainings, events, and meetings
- Self-care to support appropriate sharing of own lived
experience and offset potential intensity of peers' sharing during
trainings or events.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & ABILITIES:The Peer Trainer must:
- Have lived experience with mental health and/or substance use
disorders, with receipt of services and supports as a member
- Have an active NC Peer Support Specialist certification in good
- Have a good foundation of knowledge about the service system,
past and present
- Have knowledge of the methods and principals of recovery and
person centered thinking
- Demonstrate good relational/customer service skills
- Establish appropriate and respectful relationships/partnerships
with persons with a wide range of disabilities and their
- Have the ability to interact professionally and effectively
with persons who express intense emotions or share stories of
- Have knowledge of the laws, regulations, and policies which
govern human services
- Express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in written
- Work as a team member and under the direction of the Member
- Travel throughout Vaya's catchment area to facilitate trainings
and attend assigned community events SALARY: Depending on
qualifications & experience of candidate. This position is
non-exempt and is eligible for overtime compensation.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open Until Filled
APPLY: Vaya Health accepts online applications in our Career
Center, please visit https://www.vayahealth.com/about/careers/.
Vaya Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Vaya Health, Asheville , Peer Trainer, Human Resources , Asheville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!