Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its
environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their
potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe,
well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of
life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens
can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work
force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Job Title: Permits and Inspections Director
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide direction and
management to the County's Permits and Inspections department to
ensure enforcement and administration of the NC State Building
Codes as adopted by the NC Building Code Council.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Direct and supervise the activity of a department or division
including the coordination of fiscal and personnel related
- Provide supervision, evaluation, and ongoing support of
department staff through formal and informal discussion and
evaluation; provide guidance and clarity as needed, including, but
not limited to supporting career development and team goals,
overseeing objectives and performance standards, and resolving
- Plan and monitor department operating budget; authorizes
purchases and expenditures from budget.
- Oversee the day to day operations of issuance of permits,
scheduling, and tracking of inspections.
- Perform quality assurance checks to assure permits, inspections
scheduling, and inspections are recorded and followed up in a
- Receive and respond to technical inquiries and information
request from citizens, property owners, county departments,
contractors, industry representatives and public officials.
Investigates field complaints.
- Perform condemnation inspections and hearings; manage the
Minimum Housing program; perform field inspections as
- Analyze workflow, delegate projects to meet departmental
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Construction Management,
Engineering, or related field and six (6) years of experience as a
Code Enforcement Officer or Project Manager in general construction
with considerable experience in building, electrical, mechanical,
and/or plumbing contracting, including at least three (3) years of
managerial/supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience: 24 hours of continuing
education annually (6 hours required per trade)
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
Possession of a Level III Standard Certificates in all trades
from the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Requires analytical judgment, initiative, or innovation in
dealing with complex problems or situations. May develop new
processes or models that involve making complex, independent
decisions for situations with precedent to ensure department or
major area within a Division objectives are met.
- Considerable knowledge of permitting requirements and NC State
Building Codes as adopted by the NC Building Code Council.
- Knowledge of operations of internal and related departments
with which the position comes in contact.
- Ability to read deeds, maps and surveys.
- Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with contractors, property
owners and the general public.
- Knowledge of the organization and functions of County
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and skill in supervising
others, including communication skills, delegating and assigning
work, dealing effectively with employee issues, evaluating
performance, and assisting or conducting investigations and
participating in disciplinary actions.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of
office management operations including personnel and budget.
- Ability to compile, analyze and summarize administrative,
programmatic and fiscal data for assessing agency capacity.
- Ability to develop/ written documents/oral presentations and/or
reports conveying information and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to organize work and establish priorities to meet
guidelines and deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with associates, elected officials, community
organizations, and the general public.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: July 05, 2021
Salary Range: $94,631.92 - $125,387.29
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse
professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and
innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of
our employees, honoring and building on each employee's unique
experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment
opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or
mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class
under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly
prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the
affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected
veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise
you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to
respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses
will remain confidential within the human resource department; and
(c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to
include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that
values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans
and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this
information will have no bearing on your application and will not
subject you to any adverse treatment.